recent popular introductions to ASL

Mark Mandel Mark at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Aug 7 18:48:05 UTC 1998

         The following appeared in LINGUIST List #9-1107
                Please do NOT reply to me, but
      direct any responses directly to the original poster
                  at the address given below.

Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 18:00:15 +0100 (BST)
From: Larry Trask <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject: ASL

I'm preparing a second edition of my popular book Language: The
Basics, and I'm putting in some new material on sign languages.
Therefore I want to suggest some suitable further reading.  For
British Sign Language, this is easy, since there are several popular
introductions to BSL available in bookshops over here.  But our
bookshops don't stock works on American Sign Language.  So, can
anybody recommend (with full references, please) one or two fairly
recent popular introductions to ASL?  Thanks.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH