"What's in a name?"

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Sat Jul 4 05:16:40 UTC 1998

Re: Jordanian SL, the naming convention is either based usually on personal
attributes (one of my informants was short -- her name sign was the JoSL sign
SHORT), or on a translation of the surname (so the interpreter Hind Abed-Rabbo
has a name sign with the dominant index finger indicating the caste dot
stereotypically associated with denizens of the Indian Subcontinent).  As far
as I could tell, there is no equivalent of a family name (or "family locus")
as described by Supalla.

Cheers,

Dan.