Query: HOW in ASL

Karlin, Ben KARLIB at MAIL.DMH.STATE.MO.US
Mon Jul 27 21:37:00 UTC 1998

I am going through the final stages of editing a presentation for later
this week and notice that there is (at least) one unsupported assertion
about the meaning of a sign.  It would be very helpful if someone could
give a hand with it.

I comment that I have a sense that the ASL sign usually glossed as HOW
(yes, you know the first sign in HOW R U?, the 2-H backs of fingers
together in neutral space in front of the chest, then sign turns up and
outward -- that one) is not equivalent with what we native
English-speakers mean by "how."

We tend to use it as a question meaning "what is the process" or "what
happened" which requires a response.  As I see it, the sign is used to
introduce a dependent clause.

I am not a Linguist, guys, nor do I play one on TV.  Can someone either
give me an Amen or put me in my place?

Thanks!