theoretical framework for research

Mary Arliskas mearlis at FLASH.NET
Thu Nov 5 16:14:19 UTC 1998

Hello all,

Thank you again for the great ideas last time I posted about comparing
signing deaf and oral deaf student's writing for my thesis.

My next question concerns one of the most elusive constructs I have found
in research: The theoretical (conceptual) framework. I know that this is
what stance I bring to the research, my thoughts/feelings/etc., so I am
curious if I am "on the right track".

I believe that deaf children have a "mental grammar" such like that
postulated by Chomsky. I believe that their language is innate and the
grammar universal. Maybe that is why the mistakes made in writing will
occur independent of the communication system used?

 I first became curious about this when I interpreted for a young girl who
was orally trained then was switched to a strict total communication
system. This young girl (she was 8 years old and highly intelligent) used
ASL constructs without being exposed to ASL per se. This lead me to believe
that ASL propensity is present in the profoundly deaf child due to an
innate Language Acquisition Device (another Chomsky reference).

Am I on to something? What theoretical frameworks have most researchers out
there used? Would it suffice to say that my theoretical framework is Nativism?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Mary E. Arliskas
Teacher for Deaf/EBD Students
Chicago Public Schools