Saudi Arabian Sign Language

SignWriting DAC at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Oct 6 07:58:09 UTC 1998

As you may know, there are three Deaf brothers who are princes in Saudi
Arabia. Recently I have had the honor to get to know Prince Abdul Aziz. I
have learned so much about the issues that Deaf Saudi Arabians face,
including the need to preserve their dialects of Saudi Arabian Sign
Language.

Last night I posted a new "Special Feature" on our SignWriting Web Site at:

http://www.SignWriting.org

It is entitled "An Interview with Deaf Prince Abdul Aziz Al-Obaid, of Saudi
Arabia".

Abdul Aziz, who attended Gallaudet University, is interviewed in ASL by
Denny Voreck. They are friends from their Gallaudet days. Denny is now on
the staff of the California School for the Deaf at Riverside.

Interpreter Pasch McCombs did an excellent job capturing the formal flavor
of the ASL discussion. The web article is a transcription of the English
voice on the video interview.

I will be posting more about Saudi Arabian Sign Language on our web site at
a later date -

All the best -

Valerie :-)

mailto:DAC at SignWriting.org