language skills

Ronnie Wilbur wilbur at OMNI.CC.PURDUE.EDU
Fri Oct 30 12:35:26 UTC 1998

Chapter 11 of my 1987 book American Sign Language: Linguistic and Applied
Dimensions provides an overview of the research conducted.  YOu ask why
there are few studies comparing the 2 deaf populations of students -- one
very clear reason is that the schools do NOT wish to be compared with other
methods because of possible negative consequences if their claims are not
substantiated.  The large study reported in the Quigley et al papers did
include one oral deaf school with the agreement that the results would not
be reported school by school.  One the basis of working with that huge
sample, I know that if it were my kid, he/she would get ASL as early as
possible, no questions asked.  There is no evidence that it results in any
deficiency in speech skills compared to orally trained students, and the
overall educational prognosis in every other area, including general
academic success, reading and writing, is much much better.

The book is out of print, but you should be able to find a copy in a
university library.  Permission granted to copy.

At 07:11 PM 10/29/98 -0600, you wrote:
>At 05:39 PM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>One would assume that the "signing" kids would ultimately be the
>>superior group.
>
>Why do you say that? I have read that strict oral kids with highly
>motivated parents and high ses are better (I'd provide a citation, but I
>can't quite recall if it was anecdotal or not) what is interesting to me is
>the trends in writing correlated with communication strategy.
>
>Of course, what age children are we  talking about?
>
>Well...I was thinking older kids but that makes it harder to control
>extraneous variables. I need as "pure" a sample as I can get. (and I am
>open for suggestions :)
>
>>How is the program constructed? These would seem to be the meaningful
>>variables.
>
>Yes, yes, you are so right. You sound like my thesis chairperson :).
>I have some "kinks" to work out. I am still searching for the meat of the
>report. thanks for the reply!!
>

>peace n love,
>
>mary
>

>                                once in a while
>                          you can get shown the light
>                          in the strangest of places
>                           if you look at it right

Ronnie Wilbur, Ph.D., Professor of Linguistics                  wilbur at omni.cc.purdue.edu
ASL Linguistics Research Laboratory                             (765) 494-3822
Interdepartmental Program in Linguistics and                    fax (765) 494-0771
        Department of Audiology and Speech Sciences
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1353