Hi - Newbie here...

benolam benolam at SNEAKER.NET.AU
Tue Sep 29 01:58:38 UTC 1998

Keith

My main interest in ASL is a particular notation that is accurate yet
intuitive and makes fluent literacy possible.  It seems to be the
only representation that the deaf themselves are taking to.  This
form of writing grew out of earlier work notating dance and general
human movement, but has largely taken over its inventor's time for
the last couple of decades.  It is also quite capable of being used
for any other sign language, just as an alphabet based on an
adequately complete phonemic analysis need not be restricted to any
one language.  I find it exciting enough that I intend to develop a
significantly better keyboard mapping for them.

You may already know of Valerie Sutton's SignWriting. The web site is
at http://www.signwriting.org/

If you want to be able to combine your interest in electronics and
computing with work on ASL then why not contact me off-list as I am
mapping onto a parallel input keyboard along the lines that court
reporters use.  You might find some of the problems and possibilities
particuarly interesting.

All the best

Ben Olam
(Sydney, Australia)