Edges vs. Contours

Karlin, Ben KARLIB at MAIL.DMH.STATE.MO.US
Tue Sep 29 18:46:00 UTC 1998

I am curious about impact of various features on intelligibility of
signs.  I remember Klima and Bellugi had some work on marked and
unmarked handshapes and I know the popular convention of interpreters
wearing clothes contrasting with skin color to better show handshapes.
Observation, though, shows me that the interior contours of a sign
(revealed primarily by shadows) have a strong impact as well.  Anyone
know of work done on this?