2nd Deaf Nation Symposium

g.h.turner g.h.turner at UCLAN.AC.UK
Thu Apr 22 17:23:49 UTC 1999

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

                     2nd DEAF NATION SYMPOSIUM

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A three day international conference at the University of Central
Lancashire, Preston, UK, 7 - 9 July 1999

Organised by the Deaf Studies Team, Department of Education Studies
   University of Central Lancashire

Enquiries to Liz Kelly, Centralan Consultants Limited
   University of Central Lancashire
   Tel: 44 (0)1772 892256 (VOICE/MINICOM)
   Fax: 44 (0)1772 892938
   E-mail: e.j.kelly at uclan.ac.uk

Website:        http://www.uclan.ac.uk/commerc/deafsym.htm

\\||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
 ||||\\

2nd DEAF NATION SYMPOSIUM

* Conference Rationale
The second Deaf Nation Symposium is for everyone involved in national
and international Deaf issues, including Deaf community members,
service professionals, policy makers, families of Deaf people and
academics. The Symposium will address representation, service
provision and scholarship in relation to Deaf communities in the UK
and beyond.   This event provides a forum for people to exchange
ideas, information, experience and know-how concerned with making a
real difference to the present and future lives of Deaf people.

* Why "Deaf Nation II?"
The first Deaf Nation Symposium, in 1997, was considered a huge
success by the participants. The Symposium also left delegates
hungry for more.

= More about WHERE the Deaf Nation stands today - in the UK and
globally

= More about WHO is marking out a clear and purposeful
direction for the Deaf community.

= More about HOW the Deaf community can best negotiate genuine
progress.

= More about WHICH models for development have the greatest
international relevance.

= More about WHEN the broader socio-political framework is going
to be receptive to Deaf initiatives.

Deaf Nation II will therefore give fresh impetus to this dialogue and
aim to push forward the frontiers on the major issues affecting all
Deaf people.  The message from Deaf Nation I was that while knowledge
is good and should be shared, change is in the hands of policy-makers.
  The theme of this Symposium, "Pathways to Policy", reflects this
recognition that the focus must above all be on how to make a
difference: using new ideas and information to practical effect.

* Content
The programme includes papers, workshops, panel discussions and
debate,  plus displays, fringe meetings, cultural zone and social
events.   Symposium policy is to provide maximum language access for
all participants using British Sign Language and English.   Please
contact the organisers for further details.

* Deaf Nation Symposium Programme
In the 1990s, Deaf people are setting their own agenda for development
and change.   This is reflected in the Symposium policy that all
invited programme contributors will be Deaf.

* Fringe Sessions
If you would like to run a fringe session - you may be working as a
researcher, or in a voluntary organisation, within the public service
sector or elsewhere please send a video or write to Liz Kelly with
your proposal. We are interested in what you have to tell - all
perspectives are welcome.

KEY PRESENTERS
Scheduled key presenters are:
Carol Lee Aquiline                        World Federation of the Deaf
MJ Bienvenu             Gallaudet University
Robin Caley             Midlands Regional Association for the Deaf
Susan Daniels           National Deaf Childrens Society
Fergus Dunne            Irish Deaf Society
Terry Riley             See Hear(BBC)
Liz Scott Gibson                          Edinburgh & East of Scotland Deaf Society
James Strachan                    Royal National Institute for Deaf People

PROGRAMME CONTRIBUTORS
Scheduled programme contributors include:
Jo Atkinson             National Deaf Services (London)
Rachel Bastikar O'Neill Derby City Council
Howard Beck             Leeds City Council
Ann Beilby              DEAFSTART (Leeds)
Penny Beschizza         Deaf Broadcasting Council
David Buxton            Breakthrough Deaf-Hearing Intergration
Jane A. Beech-Keane
Debra Dalton            Cumbria Deaf Association
Sandra David            Frank Barnes Deaf School (London)
Michael. J. Davis               Counsellor
Arthur Dimmock M.B.E    Author
Jeffery Drew            Hamilton Lodge School (Brighton)
Craig Flynn             Deafway (Preston)
Mira Goldberg           Koleinu co-ordinator
Brenda Hamlin           Tameside Social Services with Deaf People (Manchester)
John.A.Hay              University of Wolverhampton
Simon Hesselberg                Brent DeafPeople's Group (London)
Peter Jackson           Author
CraigJones                      Hartlepool Deaf Centre
Richard Jones           British Deaf Association (Wales)
Herbert Klein           National Deaf Services (London)
Dawn Marshall
Helga McGilp            Young Deaf Person's Council (NDCS)
Francis Murphy          Newcastle Deaf Youth Project
Tessa Padden            Sign Expressions
Iain Poplet                        Deaf Gay Rights
Paul Redfern            Deafworks
Adam Walker             Deaf ex-mainstreamer's group (DEX)

 "I've been moved to tears by some of the content. More please and
 soon!"
Jennifer Dodds, CSV Media

"Lovely place..WOW !!"
Trudi Collier

"Thanks for a wonderful three days"
Billy Lambert, RNID

"Wonderful-happy atmosphere throughout - the best deaf event I've
attended" Tessa Padden, Sign Expressions

"A wonderful and memorable conference - truly well organised "
Wendy Daunt, Royal School for the Deaf, Derby

" The most interesting and inspiring event  of its kind I've ever
attend" Bob Duncan, Tyne Tees Television

"Everyone who attend had a interesting and entertaining three days. A
success all round" Jeff  McWhinney, BDA

* Further Information

Registration Fee: Full Symposium Package
The full registration fee for the symposium is stlg255 plus VAT (stlg299.62)
and includes accommodation and dinner (7 & 8 July), breakfast (8 & 9
July), Lunch and refreshments (7, 8 & 9 July) and conference
documentation.

Day Rates
Attendance is possible on a daily basis at the following rates which
include lunch, refreshments and conference documentation.
Wednesday 7 July         stlg75 plus VAT (stlg88.12)
Thursday 8 July stlg100 plus VAT (stlg117.50)
Friday 9 July   stlg75 plus VAT (stlg88.12)

Accommodation
Accommodation is in ensuite student residences and is stlg14.47 + VAT
per night (stlg17.00).

Quality Assured
We are keen to ensure that all our events maintain high standards of
quality. To this end we will evaluate the conference and welcome
comments and suggestions.

Substitution and Cancellation
If delegates are unable to attend, they may make a substitution at any
time. If necessary the booking can be cancelled up to 14 days before
the conference subject to an administration fee of stlg20 + VAT(stlg23.50).
All cancellations must be in writing. After this date we regret that
refunds cannot be made.

All Enquiries:
Liz Kelly, Centralan Consultants Limited, University of Central
Lancashire, Preston  PR1 2HE
Tel:            01772 892256 (voice/minicom)
Fax:            01772 892938
E-mail: e.j.kelly at uclan.ac.uk

\\||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\\

 2nd DEAF NATION SYMPOSIUM

Symposium Booking Form  (LET 4265)

* Delegate Information
First Name                              Last Name
Position                                Organisation
Address

Post code                               Country
Telephone                               Fax
Email
Special Dietary Needs
Additional Requirements

* Payment Details

Full Symposium Fee
  I enclose stlg255 plus VAT (stlg299.62) in respect of the full symposium
fee

Day Delegate Rate (delete as applicable)
  I enclose stlg75 plus VAT (stlg88.12) in respect of attendance on
Wednesday 7 July
  I enclose stlg100 plus VAT (stlg117.50) in respect of attendance
on Thursday 8 July
  I enclose stlg75 plus VAT (stlg88.12) in respect of attendance
on Friday 9 July

Additional Accommodation
  I require additional accommodation on.................... and
enclose stlg14.47 + VAT (stlg17.00) per additional night

Payment Details (delete as applicable)
" I enclose a cheque or bankers draft for  stlg.....including VAT made
payable to CCL in pounds sterling, drawn on a UK bank.

" I would like to pay by Direct Credit Transfer made Payable to CCL in
Pounds Sterling credited to bank account number 91466003/ sort code
number 40-37-25

" I would like to pay by Access or Visa in pounds sterling (please
complete section below)

Please return this form to Liz Kelly, CCL, University of Central
Lancashire, Preston, PR1 2HE.. Tel: 01772 892256(voice/minicom) Fax:
01772 892938 Email : e.j.kelly at uclan.ac.uk