Names of signed languages

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Feb 5 08:00:51 UTC 1999

Sign Language of the Netherlands has been referred to in English
publications as "SLN" for a very long time, and I'd recommend keeping it
in that form, so as to facilitate access to publications on SLN.  If you
decided to change to "NGT" (Nederlandse Gebarentaal), then you'd have to
create an acronym for each sign language using the spoken/written
language of the country in which it is used.  We don't refer to
"Nederlands" in English, but to "Dutch"; I suggest that the practice of
referring to foreign languages with an English designation be continued
for publications in English.

-Dan Slobin
University of California, Berkeley