Names of signed languages

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Feb 6 04:28:22 UTC 1999

Victor Brown comments that all presentations at TISLR on Sign Language of
the Netherlands "consistently" referred to that language as NGT
(Nederlandse Gebarentaal).  This was not true of the paper on borrowing in
SLN, presented by Nini Hoiting and myself.  We have consistently
referred to the language as SLN.  Brown also comments on the meanings of
"sign" in European languages.  Note that the Dutch "gebaar" means
gesture, and not "sign" or "symbol."

-Dan Slobin
Dept of Psychology
University of California, Berkeley