SLLING-L Digest - 5 Feb 1999 to 6 Feb 1999

Tane Akamatsu tanea at IBM.NET
Sat Feb 6 23:36:17 UTC 1999

Further to this, when I first got involved in sign language work (nearly 25
 years
ago) in the U.S., many deaf people were not familiar with the term "American
 Sign
Language" nor the abbreviation ASL.  They would sign DEAF SIGN or simply SIGN.

I don't know what the Quebecois Deaf used to say, but now I see the
 fingerspelled
L-S-Q , not SIGNES QUEBEC or some such.  (but maybe I only know the linguists?)

So it would seem that the more well-researched signed languages already have
well-established acronyms (too bad sign languages don't have standardized
 writing
systems) should stay with those acronyms, and the researchers of the more
 recently
researched languages can use whatever seems respectful to the local community.
agree with others that XSL and SLX is getting too confusing.  Look at ASL and
Auslan.

As to the question of using Newkirk '86: what about the languages that have
handshapes that don't exist in that code?  Or is it more flexible than what I
remember (like SignWriting)?

I think we will be stuck with the tradition of at least using the country's
 spoken
language equivalent of "local sign language" because the signed languages
themselves have no written form.  So we have to write it in some other language;
the most logical other language would be the written form of the spoken language
of the same locale.  Mind you, we may still end up with XSL and SLX for
English-speaking countries (Auslan being the notable exception), LSX for
French/Spanish/Italian speaking places, XGT for signed languages from Germanic
countries, and a proliferation of others from non-European/American countries.
kind of like the PMT for Thai and NS for Japanese.  Seems the important thing is
that we can know and remember what these acronyms are for!

I am cognizant of the fact that I have limited this discussion to a Romanized
script.  What about languages for which a standard Romanized transliteration has
not been decided upon, or places where neither the signed nor the spoken
 language
have been written?  Could happen....

My 2cents worth (taking up at least 10 cents of cyberspace).

Tane Akamatsu