names of signed languages

Danial A. Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Thu Feb 11 17:31:24 UTC 1999

I'm not sure it's ethnocentrism.  Americans got "dibs" on the A in ASL
because, well, Stokoe got there first. I can't call Jordanian Sign
Langauge JSL, because some enterprising soul reserves the J for Japanese
Sign Langauge; any claim of Japanese imperialism is probably severely
dated. So I can use something like JoSL, basing my acronym on English, or
LIU, based on one possible Arabic nomenclature. In either case, neither
term is in current use by anybody except me.

Cheers,

Dan.