just another perspective

erin zupkus curiousgeorge9 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 11 22:29:44 UTC 1999

Hi everyone.  I just recently joined this listserve.  I am a sophomore
speech pathology and audiology major at Stockton State College in NJ.
I've been doing my best to follow the discussion on acronyms and
abbreviations for the various versions of sign, yet I think that I must
have missed the initial question.  Is that you, we, are attempting to
form acronyms for the other versions of sign, for our own convenience?
Or are we trying to Americanize the foreign sign version so that it fits
into our language pattern?  In other words, (I feel confused myself, so
it will be a miracle if anyone else understands what I am trying to
ask), Germany to Americans is Germany, yet to the Germans it is
Deutschland, so Dan's interpretation of using LIU (I think that was it)
for Jordan sign is not derived from the English word Jordan.  I'm sorry
if I've utterly confused all of you, but please take it easy on me, I'm
still trying to understand, because I really love this major and it's
really interesting to see everyone's perspectives on Sign Writing.
Thank you.
Erin