Names

Victor Brown signling at WANS.NET
Fri Feb 12 01:28:14 UTC 1999

In our discussions about acronyms, last week I said something about how
NAD and UN and other acronyms from English are used in non-English
speaking countries.

Well, a personal friend on the list sent me a message with examples of
how this is NOT true in all cases. Or at least as much as I thought is
was.

So, to keep any of you from making the mistake I did, about thinking
that NAD and UN are common, there is at least one non-English speaking
country where this doesn't happen.

----
In the cases I was thinking of both are used on say a building or on
letterhead. UN plus whatever the acronym would be in that language, or
NAD with a "subtitle" in the other language.

And in speech/sign in some of these languages "UN" or "NAD" are said as
we do in English (each letter is said).

My friend pointed out though that in the spoken language it was as
common to pull syllables from the words to make the acronym
pronounceable vs. the initials. I guess this is comparable to 'Auslan'.
And something others of you have suggested for use with signed
languages.

Trying to be clear,
Victor