"Impoverished" signed languages

BARBARA GERNER DE GARCIA BGERNERDEGAR at GALLUA.GALLAUDET.EDU
Fri Feb 19 19:10:16 UTC 1999

Angus makes several observations that I agree with particularly his point that
teachers say a sign language is impoverished because the language doesn't have
signs for things the teacher wants to teach. Also that when new vocabulary is
needed in a language - his example, due to technological innovation - debates
occur over whether to import the English (most often) term or create one in
the local language. I am learning Portuguese now and although you can say
e-mail in Portuguese, no one does.
        When meeting the educator who said that their sign language was too
ppor, my Brazilian colleague commented that while this is a common way of
thinking it was erroneous. That the deaf students will e a source of signs
and Deaf adults. Deaf adults should be included in the process, etc. Interest-
ingly while I was writing this email the same visiting teacher showed up at my
door! She did mention the difficulty of training related to sign language
but did not repeat her comment. I was waiting for her to say something so I
could say more on this topic :)
Barbara Gerner de Garcia