Nouns & Verbs

Linda Lee Lonning lonning at CSD.UWM.EDU
Mon Feb 22 22:22:33 UTC 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 jmacfarl at unm.edu wrote:

> I have some questions for the list regarding Noun/Verb pairs in ASL.
>  (other signed language examples are welcome too)
>

> Much attention has been paid to the double/single movement
> alternation between N's and V's in ASL c.f. (Newport & Supalla).
>
> I have noticed that there are some Noun/Verb pairs that <bold>do not</bold>
> reflect this alternation<italic>, </italic>and show no difference in form
>  between the
> noun and verb.  These might include pairs such as WISH/WISH,
> PLAN/PLAN, THINK/THOUGHT, BELIEVE/BELIEF, LIVE/LIFE etc.
>

> Are there any other NOUN/VERB pairs that don't have a difference
> in form?  If you would like to contribute more of these noun/verb
> pairs please e-mail them directly to me and I will summarize the
> results to the list.
>

> My e-mail is:  jmacfarl at unm.edu
>

> Thanks
>

> <nofill>
> *************************
> James MacFarlane
> University of New Mexico
> *************************

I just had the honor and pleasure to attend some training under the
direction of Betty Colonomous of the Maryland area (I believe she's still
in that area!)  The weekend class was something like "Comparative
Linguistics:  ASL & English.  One of her prime examples of a noun and verb
that does not incorporate any reduplicated movement to form the noun is
"LOVE."

Regards,             LINDA L. LONNING, BS, CT
                     Postsecondary Interpreter:
                     University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee --and--
                     Referral interpreter out-and-about in the community