names of signed languages

Victor Brown signling at WANS.NET
Wed Feb 24 04:12:49 UTC 1999

> VB> Regardless of this, I'm interested in seeing us agree that this is
> VB> a difficult situation. And when whomever does coin a name, there is also
> VB> a good explanation about that language "A" and that it is indeed
> VB> different than language "B".
>
> VB> And then state that because of geo-political reasons, the name cannot
> VB> be "A" or "B" but instead "C". This way the rest of us will know what
> VB> is going on and when language "D" comes along, we can follow why it is
> VB> or is not related to the others.
>
> AG-S>        Are you suggesting that this should be recorded somewhere?

Not really. What I mean is that as anyone of us writes or publishes or
even
discusses as we are here, that it include the background information.
Or, that
there should be enough information for the reader to follow "the why".

For example, Ulrike is currently using IPSL to identify the sign
language in a particular geo-political area. Or perhaps later will show
us all (decide)
that there is a need to have two names, ISL and PSL (or whatever), even
though
they are linguistically the same language.

With this language, I would be able to follow why there are two names
and will
keep that in my mind as I ... study, compare, etc. this two-named
language with other languages. But, if I was not around when this
discussion took place,
I would wonder, "why two names for the same language". As with ASL and
CSL in North American. (ASL/CSL is not my point, bu the way. Different
train of thought.)

Angus, you're other comments, to my previous message are right on. I
feel we are in
agreement. I tend to 'pluck' things from the other side, that's all.
Trying
to think outside the circle for a moment, that's all.

You're correct to counter my suggestions with the reality of the
situation. Especially when the current situation is still new
historically and has not yet settled. It may happen that some of the
'patterns' of sociolinguistics won't work out as smoothly.

Good night, or good morning depending.
Vic