Sign activates the auditory area.

Linda Lee Lonning lonning at CSD.UWM.EDU
Tue Jan 19 20:47:12 UTC 1999

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Robert Ingram wrote:

> Actually, Jerison (1973) argued that human language would not have evolved
 were
> it not for the emergence of a highly developed visual system in mammals.
>
> Bob Ingram
>
> Eric Gumpert wrote:
>
> > Alternately, if there were proof that during, say, the performance of spoken
> > English, the visual cortex were activated--that would be further proof that
> > English is a fully developed linguistic system.

I just have to throw in a quickie comment along this line in conjunction
with the proposition I have heard bantered here and there within the
leagues of the media...

Ya know, as a tangential link here, " ** they ** " <---the proverbial
"they,"> ...say that "we are becoming a more  'visual' society..." with
developments such as the Internet, multimedia capabilities influencing (or
perhaps ** tapping into ** ??) our 'visual' thirsts now-a-days ;) .  I
think this goes back to subsurface value judgements about the "value" of
the oral/aural vs. the "more primitive" (??!--hmmm) visual channel and
receptive and expressive modes...