new sign transcription system

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jun 23 17:47:24 UTC 1999

Dear Angus,
        We're delighted that you've already examined our system.  The
reason we want to have a strictly morphological transcription (on the
utterance line) is that this is the level of language acquisition that our
research focuses on--that is, the assignment of meaning to linguistic
elements.  In this way, we are consistent with the long tradition of child
language studies of spoken languages.  We found it awkward, for example,
to introduce a notation such as "cl'V" for the two-legs classifier, while
knowing that it is a morphological element.  By analogy, one does not
represent the PLURAL morpheme by "-s"  in morphology-level transcriptions
of English, but rather as PL.  To be sure, phonological information is
often relevant, and can be provided on one of the dependent tiers (%pho).
If we were studying the acquisition of phonology, of course, we'd use a
totally different transcription system (and some candidates already
exist).
        The reason for putting semantic elements in caps is to be able to
search for them independently of other symbols, thus carrying out word and
morpheme counts automatically, using CHAT programs.  The glosses in
parentheses are not part of our analysis, but are only there to aid
legibility.  That is, for example, RIDE_MOUNTED is a cue to the reader
about how to untangle the following list of symbols.  But we give no
linguistic significance to these glosses, and the transcriber is free to
use whatever gloss seems to be a useful pointer to the meaning of the
following sign notation.  What first pushed us to abandon spoken-language
glosses was our work with ASL and SLN:  we found that we were worrying
about the comparable meanings of English and Dutch words in the glosses,
rather than the actual signs.  It was a great relief to leave that
tradition behind, and discover the rich polymorphemic structure of the
lexical items themselves.
        I like your suggestion that we explore ASCII notations for sign
phonology.  This would be very useful on our %pho tier, where we are
definitely concerned with childish and idiosyncratic formations, as well
as those of hearing parents who are learning to sign with their children.
What ASCII system would you recommend for phonology?

Many thanks for your comments.
Best regards,
-Dan