request:linguistic terminology needed

Joeri Cornelis/Myriam Vermeerbergen sky71133 at SKYNET.BE
Mon Mar 1 14:09:17 UTC 1999

Dear colleagues,

One and a half year ago I summarised the results of the research on the
grammar of Flemish-Belgian Sign Language in a book designed as a manual for
both Flemish-Belgian Sign Language teachers and students. At the moment, my
(deaf) colleague, Diane Boonen, is translating the manual to
Flemish-Belgian Sign Language. This is hard work, especially because for
many of the linguistic terminology there are no signs. We have discussed
this problem with signers as well as linguists and it was decided to
proceed in the following way:
-we'll try to find out if the signs exist in other sign languages and -if
so- we will try to collect as many 'foreign' signs as possible
-these signs will be compared and a group of signers will decide if one of
the collected signs could be "borrowed" in Flemish-Belgian Sign Language
-if no 'foreign' sign is available/suited, a new sign will be 'made-up'

I would like to know if some of you are willing to help us with this.
Whoever wants to help, will be send a list of the terminology we need. We
would then like you to see if there are signs in your sign language and -if
so- would like you to send us a transcription/description/drawing/video... .

Please reply directly to me if you want more information.

Kind regards,

Myriam Vermeerbergen

office: mvermeer at vub.ac.be