Russian Sign Language

Daisuke Sasaki daisuke at MAIL.COM
Fri Mar 26 09:26:20 UTC 1999

At 5:55 PM +0900 99.3.26, Nobukatsu Minoura wrote:
Nobu> Dear colleagues,
Nobu>
Nobu> I am a Japanese linguist who is studying Japanese Sign Language.  (In
Nobu> undergraduate, I majored in Russian.)
Nobu>
Nobu> Does anybody here know if there is anybody who is studying Russian Sign
Nobu> Language (russkij jazyk nemyx-gluxix) in Russia?  (Or any other signed
Nobu> languages in other Slavic countries?)
Nobu>
Nobu> I appreciate any pieces of information.

There is an article on Russian Sign Language in Sign
Language Studies.  The title is "An overview of Russian Sign
Language," and it appeared in Volume 77 of Sign Language
Studies in 1992.

And, there is a web site called "Russian Sign Language
Project" developed by Mr. Joseph Kautz.  The URL is:

        http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jkautz/Russian.Sign.Lang.Project.html

The site includes the manual alphabet of Russian Sign
Language and a fair number of signs.  To see the signs,
QuickTIme is required.

Other than those above, you can search articles on Russian
Sign Language in the International Bibliography of Sign
Lanugage at the Universitat Hamburg:

        http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/bibweb/

See you soon in Japan.

Daisuke