Continuous vs. Repetitive inflection in ASL

JMoore7829 at AOL.COM JMoore7829 at AOL.COM
Fri May 7 17:25:38 UTC 1999

I'm curious as to whether the semantics of to-kill have any influence here.
That is, it seems that to-kill is a finite act.  I can continue to stare
(LOOK-AT continuative) over a period of time, but once I kill (only insects,
mind you), it's over.  Therefore, it would seem to me that any use of kill
would be repetitive rather than continuative, as continuative would indicate
continuing to kill the same entity over a period of time, which can't be done.
Thanks,
Julie Moore