Continuous vs. Repetitive inflection in ASL

Tane Akamatsu tanea at IBM.NET
Fri May 7 19:05:04 UTC 1999

Sandra,

I'm wondering, from your gut (since you are a native signer), who is being
killed in KILL-durative, and who is being killed in KILL-continuative?  I know
that *grammatically* the sweep vs. the same-place difference exists.  To these
non-native eyes, the sweep implies that many different people/insects were
killed over some period of time (i.e., serial killer, as someone mentioned
earlier), and with the same-place, it seems like the same person/insect is
being killed over a period of time, which makes no sense, as someone else
pointed out.  Would a long-slow-tortuous death be implied in the latter?

Tane Akamatsu