Continuous vs. Repetitive inflection in ASL

Victor Brown signling at WANS.NET
Fri May 7 22:40:53 UTC 1999

Okay, I'm trying to keep all this straight and "organize" this in my head. So
far we've got the following morphemes, on different layers; Right?

----- Verb Level  ------
-0     neutral form of the verb: KILL, ASK, KISS, LOOK-AT

-rep   repetitious       There is a starting and stopping. then starting
again.

-cont   continuous      start, long duration then a stop
-dur    durative    I think this is the same as continuous, but could be used
to account for a variation in "time".

----- Real Time Level ------
Overlaid on the above.

-0 normal inflection for real time
-slow       split second real time
-fast        zooms by

----- Obj Agreement Level ----
-Multi-Obj   numerous objects or patients. (the sweeping)    Can be "smooth"
or with "bumps"  (Different topic)

=======
both -rep and -cont(-dur) can vary in rate. But, regardless they are relative
to the perceived "normal" rate of -0. Right? And can be either "slower" than
or "faster" than normal to convey length of "real-time".

and -Multi-Obj can be superimposed on all three; -0, -rep, -cont, but most
commonly done with a Real-Time of -0. Right?

=======

There is also simply repeating a verb because there are multiple objects, or
for emphasis. But this is different than -rep. Right.
For example; Think of a chicken scratching or a woodpecker on a tree. This
'repeat' is showing Real-Time. Not that it was repetitious.

When we say, "repetitious" (-rep) don't we mean more along the lines of
habitual or that it happens again and again. In fact, for verbs that can't
take the -rep the the sign AGAIN shows up; and if the verb can't take -cont
then the sign CONTINUE-cont (thumbs touching, "pushing" forward, in circle)
shows up. Right?

-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-
So far, the verbs mentioned are "Subj Non-obligatory" for lack of a better
class name. Basically directional.

But, there are some "Subj Obligatory" verbs, like LOVE (arms across chest)
that can take -rep and -cont. BUT, it obviously can't take on -Multi-Obj,
because the articulator (arms) don't move from the body.  (Others would be,
KNOW, THINK, LIKE)

Do all the directional and non-directional, or Subj Oblig and Subj Non-oblig
verbs allow -rep and -cont?

Peace,
Victor