Continuous vs. Repetitive inflection in ASL

Karlin, Ben KARLIB at MAIL.DMH.STATE.MO.US
Mon May 10 16:02:00 UTC 1999

I try to keep quiet on this list because everyone else knows so much more
than I do but I have a sense that these sentences would not occur naturally.
There would need to be a distributive aspect added to indicate a variety of
victims as it is impossible to kill someone (or something) more than once.
The only way to KILL-cont would be to kill by degrees, as in torturing
someone to death and then it would be indicated still as a single movement
without repetition.

See why I bite my tongue (and fingernails)?
Ben Karlin      <KARLIB at mail.dmh.state.mo.us>
Staff Interpreter for the Deaf, St Louis Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center