research on the acquisition of literacy

Debra Aarons da at AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA
Mon May 17 07:37:45 UTC 1999

Hi

I am trying to take advantage of the combined expertise of the users of
this list. Please help!

I am compiling a list of all the research that has been done on the
acquisition of literacy in a second language by people who use a signed
language as their primary language. Specifically, I am looking for research
into using a signed language as the medium for teaching reading and
writing.

I am particularly interested in work that has been done subsequent to
Unlocking the Curriculum. There are a lot of policy makers here who need to
be convinced, and I am trying to be as current as possible.

Please post to me personally (I am not sure if everyone on the list wants
this stuff) and I will post a summary to the list. I would really
appreciate whatever help I can get.

All the best

Debra Aarons

Professor Debra Aarons