searching for some ASL signs

Richard Arnold Rna8arnold at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 11 18:15:49 UTC 1999

I would like to thank everyone for their respective comments.  However one of
my other questions has not yet been addressed.  I do remember seeing a
specialized dictionary of ASL for mathematics somewhere. So I am wondering of
anyone knows of other specialized dictionaries for scientific terms?

As for the issue of fingerspelling yes you are all correct to point out its
usefulness. But this should not be an excuse to debunk inventiveness. Every
language needs to expand and invent news words that's how any language, such
as English or German, grows and develops. In fact new words are being
invented all the time, especially in the area of technology and science. For
example: superstrings, and superconductivity (try fingerspelling that one
out, whew!). The same should be true for signed languages. There's nothing
wrong with creating a new sign say for SUPERCONDUCTIVITY but as long it gets
accepted by the Deaf community as a valid sign. If on the other
fingerspelling SUPERCONDUCTIVITY is more preferred by the sign language
community then that's how it is to be signed.

So folks try not to be narrow-minded but be all-inclusive of both
fingerspelling and signing.

Cheers,

Richard Arnold