ASL-Math Dictionary

Laurie Bowe labdis at RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU
Sat Nov 13 19:30:29 UTC 1999

>Tane Akamatsu wrote:

>The only place I can think of where one [ASL-Math Dictionary] might
>have originated is from the Technical Signs Project that was done at
>NTID a zillion years ago.  Someone from NTID might know?
>Try Frank Caccamise or ask for the math department there.

The Technical Signs Project done at NTID is a series of videotapes.  I
can check to see if there are actually books/dictionaries developed
along with these.  HOWEVER, it is my understanding that this project
focussed on what signs *interpreters* were currently using in the
classroom at that time.  It does NOT represent what is necessarily
promulagted and accepted in the Deaf community at large.  My suggestion
would be to see how culturally Deaf people use their language to talk
about math.  I'm struggling over this exact issue myself....  Laurie