genetic classification of sl

james macfarlane jmacfarl at UNM.EDU
Wed Nov 17 20:55:42 UTC 1999

Dear All,

I wanted to let you know that I got a response from Barbara at SIL
Ethnologue regarding the following:

> The Ethnologue of languages available on the web. (I don't know how
> reliable this is; last time I checked they had LSQ and a seperate language
> (Canadian Sign Language) listed.  I've checked around with some Canadian
> Deaf and there is no Canadian Sign Language that is distinct from ASL)

She said that this information has been corrected in the new edition of
the Ethnologue.  Apparently they got their information from a published
source.  She said that they are always open to correction.

Jim MacFarlane
University of New Mexico