sign language phonology: summary

Ulrike Zeshan u.zeshan at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 28 05:11:31 UTC 2000

Dear list,

a couple of weeks ago I posted a query about the current state of research
in sign language phonology. I am summarizing the responses I got below.
Channon, Franz Dotter. Thanks to all of you.

Major current models have been proposed by Brentari, van der Hulst et al.,
Liddell & Johnson,  Perlmutter and Padden, Sandler, and Uyechi. A reference
I personally found useful as a first orientation to the topic (not
suggested by the list) is this overview article:

Brentari, Diane: 'Sign Language Phonology: ASL.' In: Goldsmith, John (ed.):
The Handbook of phonological theory. Blackwell Publihsers 1995.

The following hints and references from the responses are grouped by language:

ASL:

Brentari, Diane (19??): A Prosodic Model of Sign Language Phonology. MIT
Press.

Crain, Rachel Channon. 1996.Representing a Sign as a Single Segment in
American Sign Language. in Proceedings of the Thirteenth Eastern States
Conference on Linguistics 96 (ESCOL).13, 46-57, edited by Antony Dubach
Green and Virginia Motopanyane. Ithaca NY: Cornell University.

Sign Language of the Netherlands:

Look at this webpage: http://www.leidenuniv.nl/hil/sign-lang/

German Sign Language:

Claudia Becker. 1997. Zur Struktur der Deutschen Gebärdensprache. Trier:
Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier (Fokus Bd. 20)

Several articles in German in 'Das Zeichen' by Helen Leuninger (Frankfurt)
and her group, about slips of the hands.

I have summarized responses as they arrived, without filtering or
evaluating them for the list.

Ulrike Zeshan
Dr. Ulrike Zeshan
Senior Research Associate