written language as first language?

Nancy Frishberg nancyf at FISHBIRD.COM
Wed Aug 9 07:15:44 UTC 2000

Michael,

I'm replying to the list - and copying Tom Field who is not a
subscriber to SLLING-L - to clarify this discussion.

I would not be surprised to find many people with CP or similar
disorders for whom Blissymbolics is their first (and primary)
symbolic expression.  Is it also their first (and primary) linguistic
input method?  Or are these hearing people who have been exposed to
spoken language extensively before finding an appropriate expressive
mode?

And do we believe that Blissymbolics is a language?

Nancy Frishberg  +1 650.654.1948  nancyf at fishbird.com