Antw: The Amsterdam Manifest

Victor Brown signling at WANS.NET
Tue Aug 22 18:50:05 UTC 2000

I took the manifesto to mean that there should be a common (lingua
franca) signed language that these kinds of conferences should
use.

The manifesto mentioned that the local languages (spoken and
signed) should always be included.

I thought one of the points was that if ASL or BSL had been provided
( and possibly coordinated by the host conference) the so many
individual interpreter arrangements would nat have to  be made.

I took the manifesto to be looking at the reality of the world
(i.e. that ASL and BSL are used by the majority) and could easily
become and AGREED upon lingua franca.

I applauded them for discussing the issue and bringing it to
the table.

Later,
Victor (hearing, ASL user, some experience overseas)