Fw: Nortel Networks commercial

Richard Arnold Rna8arnold at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 3 21:06:18 UTC 2000

Tane is correct in regard to the possessive handshape being an A or S hand
which is usually directional for the person. However it is a stronger form of
the possessive than the flat B hand.

A/S hand on chest = MINE/MY-OWN;  A/S hands towards the person talked to =
YOURS/YOUR-OWN,  and etc... I think you get the drift...

As for Don Grushkin' s gloss for DON'T-WANT;   if the girl is indeed using
BSL it maybe an ill-formed WANT sign which is :

the right Flat B hand brushing down the middle of the chest and forward in an
arc until palm is facing down

 The movement is close to ASL's DON'T-WANT  which is held further out with a
clawed handshape and can be either both hands or one hand.
BSL and NZSL only uses one hand for WANT.

Thus the gloss could be  ME WANT (my-OWN or MINE) VOICE

Hope this helps you Don !

I am sure the Brits would have more to add or correct me if I got any detail
wrong.

Richard Arnold