Languages listed in ISO 639:

Richard Arnold Rna8arnold at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 4 21:48:37 UTC 2000

There is a problem with using  asl   for American Sign Languages in the ISO
639

that leaves Australian Sign Language in a limbo.... can't use "asl", can't
use '"aus" (it for native Australian languages).

How are we going to resolve this??    "ams" would be OK for ASL (I hope...).

Another solution would be to start with an "s" to denotate a signed language
then two other letters to make it unique.

Thus:  sam       - for ASL          (um... gives a new twist on Uncle Sam)
          sau        - for Australian SL
          sot/soe/sor   - for Austrian SL (Osterreich GS)
          snz         - for NZSL
          snd         - for Nederland SL (Holland)
          sdg        - DGS (German Sign Language)

Remember these are just codes for computer/internet usage and not
neccessarily for academic usage .... These codes would be used for a way to
detect font types for the languages concerned.

My proposal is for a panel of SL experts (who are familiar with computer
systems) to consult with ISO over this.

Richard Arnold

PS I have forwarded this to John Clews as well, but I thought to let you guys
know and get us discussing this issue.