Languages listed in ISO 639:

SignWriting DAC at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Mon Feb 7 16:10:30 UTC 2000

>Anyway, it is just an idea, and we would get something like the following:
>snl     Sign Language of the Netherlands
>sdk     Danisch Sign Language
>se      Spanish Sign Language
>I hope we can find a good solution for listing sign languages in the ISO 639.
>Yours sincerely,
>Ingeborg van Gijn

-------------------------------------

Dear members of the SLLING:

Thank you for your thoughtful messages!

As you know, our proposal to the Registration Authority is rich with
definition, and is easy to understand by programmers and signers
alike. And we are already using the codes with succces in computer
software development for signed languages....SignWriter software is
being used to type 18 signed languages right now, with more planned.

You see, "sgn" is already being used as the code for "signed
languages in general".

Then we attach the country and region.

So referring to the list above.....we are coding the same languages
this way, which is more accurate:

sgn-NL   Sign Language of the Netherlands
sgn-DK   Danish Sign Language
sgn-ES   Spanish Sign Language

and if you have dialects of Spanish Sign Language - which there
are...... Then the dialects are coded this way:

sgn-ES-CT   Catalonian Sign Language used in Spain

The "CT" represents the Catalonian region of Spain.

Michael Everson, as you know, already wrote the proposal to the
Registration Authority:

http://www.egt.ie/standards/iso639/sign-language.html

Michael will be attending the meeting in Washington DC on February
17th and 18th.

All the best -

Val ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~