Fw: Nortel Networks commercial

Tessa n9553109 at WLV.AC.UK
Thu Feb 10 17:37:59 UTC 2000

Sorry to disagree, but I am most familiar with 'Voice' being signed in BSL
with a V-hand, not a G hand, although it is not bent.  This is equivalent
to the sign for 'accent' relating to speech (there is a different sign for
accents in sign language).  Have I just confused the issue completely??

Tessa Slaughter

-----Original Message-----
From:   B.Woll [SMTP:b.woll at CITY.AC.UK]
Sent:   04 February 2000 09:59
To:     SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Subject:        Re: Fw: Nortel Networks commercial

In BSL, WANT is indeed a downward movement, one handed with
B hand in BSL, and DONT-WANT moves upwards with B, then
supinating. The closed fist can mean MY, although  where
possession is regarded as inalienable, a flat hand is more usual.

However, VOICE is emphatically not a bent-V. I've only ever seen it
as a G-hand located at the throat, either tapping the throat, or
moving in small circles (like SPEAK, but located at the throat)

Hope that's of some help.

Bencie

> Yes, Auslan uses the same sign as Richard described for "want".
> "Dontwant" moves in the opposite direction - up the chest with Bhand.
> I presume BSL signs are the same or very similar. Bencie?
>
> Des
>
> Richard Arnold wrote:
>
> > Tane is correct in regard to the possessive handshape being an A or
> > S hand which is usually directional for the person. However it is a
> > stronger form of the possessive than the flat B hand.
> >
> > A/S hand on chest = MINE/MY-OWN;  A/S hands towards the person
> > talked to = YOURS/YOUR-OWN,  and etc... I think you get the drift...
> >
> > As for Don Grushkin' s gloss for DON'T-WANT;   if the girl is indeed
> > using BSL it maybe an ill-formed WANT sign which is :
> >
> > the right Flat B hand brushing down the middle of the chest and
> > forward in an arc until palm is facing down
> >
> >  The movement is close to ASL's DON'T-WANT  which is held further
> >  out with a
> > clawed handshape and can be either both hands or one hand.
> > BSL and NZSL only uses one hand for WANT.
> >
> > Thus the gloss could be  ME WANT (my-OWN or MINE) VOICE
> >
> > Hope this helps you Don !
> >
> > I am sure the Brits would have more to add or correct me if I got
> > any detail wrong.
> >
> > Richard Arnold
>
> --
> Professor Des Power, Director
> Centre for Deafness Studies and Research, and
> Language Australia, Centre for Deafness and Communication  Studies
> Faculty of Education Griffith University, QLD 4111 Australia
>
> Tel:  (617) 3875 5654
> Fax:  (617) 3875 5924

Bencie Woll
b.woll at city.ac.uk
Language and Communication Science
City University, Northampton Square
London EC1V 0HB, UK
Tel: +44 (0)171 477 8354 (voice) +44 (0)171 477 8314 (text)
Fax: +44 (0)171 477 8577 or 8354