major bookstore chain--uggh!

Trevor Jenkins Trevor.Jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Fri Feb 18 11:58:33 UTC 2000

> Inge wrote:
>

> There is a fifth solution as well. How about if bookshops just had a (big)
> section on "languages", including there all the material they have on
> different languages, spoken or signed, including English as one of the
> spoken languages?
> <<<
>
> Nice by our standards, but I suspect the booksellers would deem it
> uncommercial!

One London bookstore (Foyles, they claim to be the world's largest)
organises some section by publisher rather than topic or subject, etc. Other
sections are organised more rationally. For example, the computer book
section is one such area where publisher arragnement is used; travel the
deparatment I used to work in many years ago is more lile a library.

The publisher organisation is great if you know who the publisher is useless
if you want to compare books on the same subject from different publishers.
There is some method in their madness in that not only do they sell us the
books but they charge the publishers for the shelf space! Now where did I
see that material on signed languages?

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language. So recognise it now.

--

<>< Re: deemed!