deafness and mental health conference

Adam Schembri acschembri at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 23 22:31:36 UTC 2000

Michael,

Yes, I believe ICED (the International Congress of the Education of the
Deaf) is part of a tradition of international conferences that stretch back
to the infamous Milan Congress (although you will find that the approaches
and educational methodologies represented at ICED 2000 are far more diverse
than in 1880! A substantial number of papers will be presented on bilingual
approaches in deaf education, for example). You can find out more about the
Congress at the following website: http://www.iced2000.com/. I'm not
involved in organising the Congress, so please direct any further questions
you have to the relevant people and organisations listed on the website.

As for International Sign, there are a number of published papers that
discuss this phenomenon in some detail (visit the International Bibliograph
of Sign Language at http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/bibweb/ for
references). In a nutshell, however, IS is a pidgin signed language that has
developed as a result of contact between signers from different signed
language communities at various international conferences (such as the World
Congresses of the World Federation of the Deaf, held every four years) and
also from regular meetings between representatives from the many national
associations of the deaf under the WFD umbrella. It does appear to be highly
variable, however. At the recent World Congress in Brisbane, Australia, many
signers adopted the Auslan (Australian Sign Language) sign for DEAF, rather
than the IS (similar to the ASL sign), and I counted at least three forms of
the sign HEARING (none of which were the same as the Auslan sign). A number
of North American, European and African interpreters who have worked
extensively at such events have established a reputation for skill in IS
interpreting, and it has become customary to provide IS interpreters at
international conferences for those deaf individuals who may not have been
able to bring an interpreter to work between the official conference spoken
language (usually English) or signed language and their national signed
language.

In my personal experience, ASL is also becoming a kind of lingua franca
amongst many educated and well-travelled deaf people (at least in the
developed world). During travels to Europe and at the recent World Congress
held here in Australia, I found a little ASL goes a long way...

Adam Schembri

Adam Schembri
Renwick College
Private Bag 29