interpreting at TISLR 2000

Beppie van de Bogaerde beppie at CRYSTAL.FEO.HVU.NL
Thu May 11 09:50:24 UTC 2000

TISLR 2000 Interpreting

Dear SLING readers,

On behalf of the TISLR organizing committee we would like to clarify the
sign language interpreter situation during the congress. As you all know,
this is the first time that TISLR is being held in Europe. This provides a
great opportunity for deaf researchers in Europe to attend.  We understand
that this means that the participation for the North Americans is then more
complex and more expensive.

We have received some e-mails regarding ASL interpretation and
interpretation in International Sign. During TISLR we are providing NGT
(Dutch sign language) interpretation only and, as you already know, the
conference spoken language will be English. As a consequence, all sign
language participants will have to provide their own interpreters, with the
exception of the Dutch.

We will be organizing a meeting of all sign language interpreters on Sunday
morning, July 23rd before the conference starts. We will also have daily
meetings where interpreters and speakers have an opportunity to meet and
discuss the papers to be presented. From the registration forms that we
receive (early bird deadline May 15th!) we will extract a list of those
participants who are bringing an interpreter. The conference office will
contact those participants so that their interpreter can get access to
papers for preparation of interpretation.

If you have any queries, please contact the conference office:
congres at bdu.uva.nl. Information about the conference is available on the
website: www.uva.nl/congresbureau/tislr

We look forward to having you in Amsterdam this summer and we look forward to
your participation in the congress.

Anne Baker for the TISLR 2000 Organizing Committee
University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands