speed of movement in signs

Rain G. Bosworth RainBosworth at HOME.COM
Tue Nov 14 21:04:20 UTC 2000

What about SOON and EXPERT, do they have "other" factors as do PROVE
and BOUNCE, or do they ONLY differ with speed??  Suppose you (or I)
did an experiment where you did some Adobe Photoshop tweeking and you
manipulate so that hand speed of SOON and EXPERT were the same.
Would these become confusible?  (Dan, you suggested that other
factors in PROVE and ARRIVE make them still distinguishable.)

I think the answer is still yes, they do, because I notice that the
distance traveled is different for both of them.  Why is that? It is
as if the overall duration will be the same for both signs - farther
distances require faster speeds (which is something I'm finding in my
data).   Perhaps for conservation of cognitive effort, in order to
maintain a constant processing rate.  I think this has been proposed
already, by Bellugi & Fischer and Grosjean.

What about in other sign languages?  Any comments on whether
contrasts in speed are morphologically relevant?  Are
comparative/superlative contrasts marked in speed in MSL and JSL too??

Rain