Fw: [USA-L News] British Deaf Association in controversial posterdrive

Professor Des Power D.Power at MAILBOX.GU.EDU.AU
Fri Oct 13 03:08:06 UTC 2000

It does! - and in my (southern) dialect of Auslan it means "lazy". :-) Im not
sure why you would have a hard time believing that? How could one hold up the
finger without movement - there is of course vertical movement of the arm and
hand as the sign is made - it couldnt be otherwise. I should add that vertical
movement of the sign with more intensity (as usual) intensifies the meaning of
the sign. Its becoming unfashionable (and isnt used where I now live in
Queensland - which is northern dialect). Its a bit too like what is (in
Australia - and I think elsewhere??) a very vulgar natural gesture telling the
viewer just what is thought of them and any proposal they may have made to the
user!!

Cheers

Des