Fw: [USA-L News] British Deaf Association in controversial posterdrive

Richard Arnold Rna8arnold at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 16 17:30:04 UTC 2000

In a message dated 10/13/00 9:39:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM writes:

<< Funny, I didn't think this was recognized as rude outside the USA. >>
It is now thanks to Hollywood - see for example "Top Gun". This sign is also
used in New Zealand with the meaning of 'lazy". It is the only sign with that
handshape listed the NZSL Dictionary. But after reading Adam's post I recall
that those same signs he mentioned may also be used in New Zealand.

As for the rude two fingered British-Australian-Kiwi gesture it is not known
in the USA. The palm is always facing towards the signer/gesturer, as palm
facing away from the signer would be the commonly used Anglo-Saxon
"peace"/"victory" gesture. It's an interesting contrast in palm orientation,
although it is questionable as to whether these are true Deaf signs or just
culturally defined gestures which the Deaf community in the UK, Australia and
NZ are familiar with.

So you Americans if you what to jerk off a Brit or Aussie you now know how to
do it. Smile.

Richard A