Fw: [USA-L News] British Deaf Association in controversial posterdrive

Jo Atkinson J.R.Atkinson at CITY.AC.UK
Tue Oct 17 10:21:32 UTC 2000

> As for the rude two fingered British-Australian-Kiwi gesture it is not
known
> in the USA. The palm is always facing towards the signer/gesturer, as palm
> facing away from the signer would be the commonly used Anglo-Saxon
> "peace"/"victory" gesture. It's an interesting contrast in palm
orientation,
> although it is questionable as to whether these are true Deaf signs or
just
> culturally defined gestures which the Deaf community in the UK, Australia
and
> NZ are familiar with.

One explanation of the 'V' sign that I have come across .... it developed
during battles between the Normans and the Saxons in theMiddle Ages.
Battles in Southern England were fought and lost depending on the skill of
bowmen and archers.  The archer's most valuable possession was the two
forefingers on his dominant hand.  When the Normans captured a Saxon they
would chop off these fingers.  The ultimate provocation of the Normans by
Saxon soldiers in battle was to stick up these two fingers at them.

Archers on the losing team would invariably have lost their fore fingers -
so perhaps the V for victory sign was a way of gloating too?

Any other explantations?