references; Disability Studies Conference

C. Tijsseling, R. van Kempen. cor.reg at HETNET.NL
Sat Oct 21 19:32:04 UTC 2000

    Dear Rain,

    >I have often heard (although from whom/where, I don't remember) that deaf >people have better, improved vision or are more attentive to detail in the visual >world compared to hearing people.
    >I would appreciate published statements referring to this claim based on >personal belief or on anecdotal evidence.   Anyone have references to >newspapers, articles, movies, websites, etc. that say this, I'd appreciate them.

    I too have often heard, and have experienced myself, about Deaf people having better, improved vision. Especially a wider vison, as they use the full space of their vision, and a better eye for details. A colleague of mine once told me that there has been done research about these issues, especially in USA. Unfortunately I do not have references, but I think it should be easy to find in scientific libraries.

    Kind regards, Corrie Tijsseling