Call for Contributors: Fitzroy Dearborn Encyclopedia of Linguistics (fwd)

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Wed Sep 13 13:49:49 UTC 2000

        I sent this message to the editor at Fitzroy Dearborn.  What do
you folks think?

--
                                -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                Linguistics Department
                                The University of New Mexico
                                grvsmth at unm.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:48:45 -0600 (MDT)
From: Angus B. Grieve-Smith <grvsmth at unm.edu>
To: cprahl at fitzroydearborn.com
Subject: Re: Call for Contributors: Fitzroy Dearborn Encyclopedia of Linguistics

        I just read your message on LINGUIST List about the Encyclopedia
of Linguistics project.  It sounds exciting, and I'm looking forward to
reading it when it comes out.

        By now I'm sure you're aware that the choice of sign-language
topics for the dictionary has been under discussion on the Sign Language
Linguistics List, and you've heard from a number of other sign linguists
who are concerned about the topics.  It would probably have helped to have
a sign linguist on the encyclopedia's Advisory Board, but I'd imagine
you're getting enough advice now.

        I have one concern to add to those that have already been raised
on SLLING-L: there is no topic that covers the growing field of
computational sign linguistics.  There are projects all over the
industrial world dealing with sign synthesis, sign recognition and machine
translation involving signed languages, and an encyclopedia that has whole
sections on Intention Recognition and Augmented Grammars should have at
least one section devoted to computational sign linguistics.

        I'm sure that whenever someone tries to come up with a list of
"essential topics" in any field, there are discussions like this.  I hope
that I have helped you in your decision.

                                grvsmth at unm.edu