Signed song in the opening ceremony

Adam Schembri acschembri at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 16 03:03:17 UTC 2000

>Dear all,
>
>People in the U.S are now watching the (taped) presentation
>of the Sydney Olympic's opening ceremony.
>
>There was a presentation of a song which was signed.  The
>performers were singing and signing at the same time, maybe
>using Auslan signs.

Yes, that's right. There did appear to be a little sign-singing, using some
signs from Auslan (Australian Sign Language).

>Out of my curiosity, I am interested in how deaf people in
>Australia evaluate this kind of signed song.  Do they fairly
>accept this, or do they tend to feel uneasy about it?

Some deaf people enjoy and participate in sign-singing, some object to it in
principle, some object to it only when there is no deaf involvement or
consultation with the community, and many others are indifferent.

Regards,

Adam Schembri

Adam Schembri
Lecturer