Sign for Sydney

Adam Schembri acschembri at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 20 22:39:50 UTC 2000

Yes, the sign described at the website Ben mentions is more or less
accurate, although the sign is produced in the centre of the signing space
(not near the forehead). The sign may also be produced with the movement in
reverse. Both forms are variants of the Auslan sign meaning "bridge" or
"Sydney".

Many native signers also use a lexicalised fingerspelt routine S-Y for
"Sydney" (using the two-handed British-Australasian manual alphabet).

Cheers,

Adam Schembri

PS Mike, the Japanese delegates that came to Brisbane for the World Congress
of the WFD videotaped a number of native signers producing signs for
different cities in Australia, so perhaps you ought to try and track that
videotape down.

Adam Schembri
Renwick College
Private Bag 29