BIG EVENT: 20th Anniversary of Linguistics at Purdue and Symposium to Honor Victor Raskin for his Directorship

Ronnie Wilbur wilbur at OMNI.CC.PURDUE.EDU
Fri Sep 22 14:34:34 UTC 2000

Dear Colleagues,

We are celebrating 20 years of the Linguistics Program at Purdue University and
the leadership that Victor Raskin provided to our program.  I hope you will
join
us in paying tribute to Victor in appreciation of the effort, energy, and
personal resources he expended to start the Program, help it grow, and finally
to obtain our authorization from the State of Indiana to grant degrees in
Linguistics at the graduate level (MA, Ph.D.). In addition to Thomas Sebeok of
Indiana University, we have invited Victor's former students to present papers
in his honor.

I hope you will be able to join us.

Ronnie
---------
                        Symposium Program

Friday morning, September 29, 2000, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Room 218C Stewart Center

Symposium Celebrating 20 Years of Linguistics at Purdue University and
Honoring Victor Raskin for his Directorship

Chair - Ronnie Wilbur

Executive Vice President and Long-time Linguistics Supporter Robert L. Ringel -
Symposium Opening

Salvatore Attardo - Introductory Remarks

Thomas Sebeok - Intersemiotic Transmutations

Dallin Oaks - Toward a Methodology for Generating Structural Wordplays:  A
Possible Tool for Advertisers

Salvatore Attardo - We're Back!  Generative Semantics Meets
Explicature/Implicature

Sergei Nirenburg - Relaxable-to: Ontological Semantics

Victor Raskin - Concluding Comments

Ronnie Wilbur, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, Linguistics