Sociolinguistics Symposium 14 and the standardisation of sign languages

Trude Schermer Trude.Schermer at INTER.NL.NET
Tue Aug 7 09:17:08 UTC 2001

Hoi Myriam,
Even heel kort een reactie op je mail: ik ben wel geinteresseerd in de
worshop; als het goed is ronden we volgend jaar ons standaardisatie project
af in Nederland, dus dan kunnen we onze ervaringen delen.
Lijkt me een goed initiatief,
groetjes trude
  -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
  Van: For the discussion of linguistics and signed languages.
[mailto:SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]Namens Myriam Vermeerbergen
  Verzonden: maandag 6 augustus 2001 22:38
  Aan: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
  Onderwerp: Sociolinguistics Symposium 14 and the standardisation of sign
languages

  Dear all,

  On 4,5 &6 April 2002 the Sociolinguistics Symposium 14 will be held in
Gent, Belgium. The sociolinguistics of sign languages will be one of the
research domains to be discussed (Ceil Lucas will be one of the plenary
speakers). At this symposium I would like to organise a colloquium
concerning the standardisation -and the accompanying codification (i.e. the
making of dictionaries, grammar books, ...) of sign languages.

  Many sign languages seem to undergo (will undergo/have undergone) at some
stage a process of change from a language used (almost) exclusively within
the deaf community to a language with a broader role in society. At a
certain point in that evolution the teaching of the sign language in
question is begun -to hearing family members and friends of deaf children
and adults, to future sign language interpreters, teachers and educators of
deaf children,...-and the language also starts to serve as a teaching medium
for deaf children (and adults).
  An evolution of this type often raises questions concerning the
standardisation of the sign language. Before a sign language starts assuming
a broader role in society, it is often the case that there is no (yet
existing) standard variety of the language i.e. different regional variants
of the sign language are used side by side and/or intermixedly. Within the
deaf community -but more often: amongst those responsible for the education
of deaf childern and/or amongst policy makers considering a possible
recognition of the sign language,...-the question is asked whether the
existence of a standard variety should not be a prerequisite to the use of
sign language in education and to the official recognition of the language
by the government,... i.o.w. is a controlled/planned (I do not quite know
how to translate the Dutch notion "gestuurde standaardisatie")
standardisation to be the first step?

  "Opting for a planned/controlled standardisation or not?" This could be
the central issue of this colloquium. Other questions that could be raised
are:

  How can we find out whether a sign language knows a spontaneous
standardisation process?

  Why opt for a planned/controlled standardisation?

  Advantages and disadvantages of a spontaneous standardisation versus a
planned/controlled standardisation?

  How is a planned/controlled standardisation initialised?

  Planned/controlled standardisation that respects the spontaneous
standardisation process

  Spontaneous standardisation and codification

  Planned/controlled standardisation and codification

  Factors influencing the succes or failure of a planned/controlled
standardisation

  etc.

  I would like to find out as soon as possible if there is an interest in
such a colloquium. May I ask those interested in participating (by
presenting a paper or as a participant in an open discussion) to let me know
as soon as possible (before 31 August) ? If there is enough interest, we
could plan the formal details of the colloquium together.

  Important notice: the organisers of this symposium cannot provide
accommodation for presenters. All participants, including presenters, will
have to finance their own travel and accommodation costs.

  Best wishes,

  Myriam Vermeerbergen

  I'll be absent from August 7 till August 27.

  Below: copy of the First Call for Papers
  -------------------

  FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

  Sociolinguistics Symposium 14

  Gent (Belgium), April 4-6, 2002

  Plenary speakers:

  Prof. John HAVILAND (Reed College, Portland)
  Prof. Don KULICK (University of Stockholm)
  Prof. Ceil LUCAS (Gallaudet University, Washington DC)
  Dr. Ben RAMPTON (King's College, London)

  Conference theme:

  Discourse resources: the sociolinguistics of access, availability and
  distribution.

  In addition to papers in any area of sociolinguistics, the academic
  programme committee particularly welcomes papers which address the
  connections between sociolinguistics and discourse analysis by
foregrounding
  issues of inequality with regard to resources of language, discourses,
  styles and genres. Contributors are encouraged to pay special attention to
  international as well as local sites of language use and to signed as well
  as spoken languages.

  Deadlines call for papers

  1 June 2001: outline proposals for colloquia
  1 October 2001: abstracts
  15 November 2001: communicate outcome refereeing process
  15 January 2002: registration presenters
  1 March 2002: registration other conference participants

  Organising Committee:

  Prof. J. Blommaert, Department of African Studies, University of
  Gent
  Mr. P. Flynn, English Department, University of Gent
  Dr. G. Jacobs, Faculty of Applied Economic Sciences, University of
  Antwerp
  Dr. J. O'Driscoll, English Department, University of Gent
  Ms. K. Maryns, Department of African Studies, University of Gent
  Prof. S. Slembrouck, English Department, University of Gent
  Prof. A-M. Vandenbergen, English Department, University of Gent
  Dr. M. Van Herreweghe, English Department, University of Gent and
  FEVLADO
  Ms. E. Van Praet, English Department, University of Gent

  Contact:

  Sociolinguistics Symposium 14
  c/o English Department
  University of Gent
  Rozier 44
  B-9000 Gent (Belgium)

  Tel: 32-9-264-3788
  Fax: 32-9-264-4179
  E-mail: ss14 at bank.rug.ac.be
  Website: http://bank.rug.ac.be/ss14

  Postdoctoraal Onderzoeker Fonds voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek-Vlaanderen

  Vrije Universiteit Brussel
  OO!VBGT
  (Onderzoek en Onderwijs Vlaams-Belgische Gebarentaal)

  Waversesteenweg 1077
  1160 BRUSSEL

  Tel&fax: 02/629 35 06
  Minitel: 02/629 35 07